A Perennial Life

Monday, November 28, 2016

A 20-year-old poem rediscovered

I've had some time on my hands to do some pretty major cleaning around the house, including going through old photos, birthday cards, computer files, and papers.

I had forgotten about this little poem tucked away on a random sheet of notepad. When I came across it, I envisioned myself 20 years younger as I sat in a different house, on a different recliner, during a different time, writing the words.

That's about how old it is. So much has changed, but the meaning behind the words hasn't. They still echo true today. Finding little treasures like this has made my chore of cleaning a little more enjoyable, and I thought I'd share it with you in hopes that you enjoy it, too.


Finding Baby Jesus
I heard the news a king was born
Among the lambs one cold still morn
I ran to see the bed of hay
Where my sweet baby Jesus lay

I heard he was the perfect child
The Father’s son both meek and mild
My wish was this, to sing my song
But when I came the babe was gone

I asked a man where Jesus was
He could not answer me because
He did not know him personally
I could not see how that could be

I asked a merchant down the street
If he by chance, did Jesus meet
He said he had some time ago
He’d since forgot and so said no

Then someone said I know him well
I could not wait for her to tell
She said just simply take a look
Inside the worn and tattered book

I hardly could believe my eyes
My Jesus was my sacrifice
But then she said no tears should fall
For Jesus rose to save us all

I asked her then, where is my king?
For I still have my song to sing
I’ve searched for him both day and night
Since I first saw that one star bright

She said I’m sure he’ll come today
Bow down your head and start to pray
And when I did on bended knee
I found Jesus inside of me

As we approach this Christmas season, I hope you'll take time to seek him. And may you find Him seated on the throne of your heart.


If you enjoy my blog, please share with others and comment below. If you need a speaker for your next event, I'd love to join you. Visit www.tammyborden.com for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment